Nestled in Orange County just a mile away from the Pacific shoreline, Costa Mesa is known for its vibrancy. Sadly, the energetic beauty of this area is no protection from the ugly realities of plumbing problems. Cali’s Choice Plumbing & Restoration is here when you need assistance dealing with a slab leak repair Costa Mesa. As a local company, available 24/7, we’re always ready to lend a helping hand.
What is a slab leak?
When a leak develops in a hot water, cold water or sewer line under a property’s concrete foundation, it’s called a slab leak. Whether it’s a tiny, pinhole leak or a major break, it’s a big problem. While fixing the break isn’t a particularly daunting task, accessing it is tough. Repairing a slab leak requires identifying the general location of the leak, cutting through the concrete slab, and fixing the broken water or sewer line.
Why do slab leaks occur?
When it comes to slab leaks, there are three common culprits. These include:
- Poor construction: Water lines must be properly supported and insulated. If they aren’t, too much pressure will cause creases that eventually become cracks.
- Pipe movement: Water traveling through a pipe triggers vibrations, and the temperature of that water causes cycles of expansion and contraction. These small movements can cause the pipe to shift or force it to rub against other nearby materials, and that can lead to weak spots, cracks and water leaks.
- Corrosion: A chemical reaction between the water, the pipe and the soil encasing it, corrosion eats through water lines, resulting in a loss of water pressure and leakage. Copper and galvanized pipes are more vulnerable to corrosion; this issue is especially common in older homes that use these materials for water lines.
What are the signs of a slab leak?
If slab leaks are hidden under the concrete foundation, how do you know if you have one? Common signs of a slab leak include:
- Higher water bills
- Mold or mildew beneath carpeting
- Unexplained sounds of water running
- Unexpected warm spots in the floor
- Cracks in the walls or floors as the result of the shifting slab
What should I do if I have a slab leak?
If you suspect that you have a slab leak, the best thing to do is act promptly. Allowing a pipe to continue leaking under your home or business will result in more damage to your property and leave you in need of repairs that are more extensive and more expensive. To minimize both the damage and the cost, call a professional immediately.
Don’t let slab leaks ruin your day or your property. Our Costa Mesa plumber offering emergency services 24 hours a day, Cali’s Choice Plumbing & Restoration specializes in slab water leak repair Costa Mesa. In many cases, we can work directly with your insurer. Contact us today to learn more about our slab leak repair services and request our assistance.