Slab leak repair is a specialized plumbing service that fixes damaged water lines located underneath concrete slabs. Many Laguna Niguel homes and businesses are built on slab foundations. This construction provides an ideal base for structures in our hilly coastal terrain. Unfortunately, it also leaves your home susceptible to slab leaks that can cause serious damage to your home if not identified and repaired. As local slab leak specialists, we are familiar with the types of leaks that affect structures in our area. Cali’s Choice Plumbing & Restoration is the top choice for professional slab leak repairs in Laguna Niguel.
How is a slab leak different from an ordinary leak?
In a building with a slab foundation, the water and sewer lines are concealed beneath the concrete slab itself. Leaks in these lines can go undetected because the concrete hides the most obvious effects. Repairs are difficult for the same reason — the slab must be cut open to reach the pipe. Even a tiny leak can present a challenge.
Seniors & Teachers
*For Services Up to $1,000
Common Causes of Slab Leaks
There are three common causes of leaks that form beneath concrete:
- Corrosion. Moisture in the soil that surrounds the pipe can lead to a corrosive chemical reaction. This eats holes in the water line, causing leaks and a loss of water pressure. This type of corrosion is especially common in older homes with copper or galvanized pipes.
- Vibration. Pipes vibrate as water runs through them. They also expand or contract depending on the temperature of the water. This makes the pipe shift, causing friction against surrounding materials or other water lines. Too much movement can crack a pipe and create a leak.
- Improper construction. A water line needs to be insulated and properly supported under the slab. If this isn’t done, the resulting pressure can cause a pipe to crack.
Slab Leak Signs and Symptoms
Because the pipes are buried under a layer of concrete, a slab leak may be hard to identify. There may be no obvious moisture, even though water is collecting under the foundation. Here are a few of the signs that your property may be at risk from a slab leak:
- Mold or mildew under carpets or vinyl flooring.
- Warm areas on floors.
- Cracks in walls or floors if the leak causes the slab to shift.
- A sound of running water when all the faucets are turned off.
- Other unexplained plumbing noises, such as ticking or banging.
- Sudden, high water bills.
If you think your Laguna Niguel home may have a slab leak, contact a professional who can locate the problem and determine the next steps to take. Any delay in fixing a damaged water line will only make the repair more expensive. We are insurance-approved experts in slab leak repair. Not only can we locate the leak and suggest the best way to correct it, but we can also usually work directly with your insurance company.
Call Cali’s Choice Plumbing & Restoration immediately if you suspect a slab leak. We’re available to help you 24/7.